Current:Home > MarketsCongo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says -Capitatum
Congo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 14:06:57
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Congo’s security forces and rebel groups have agreed on a 72-hour cease-fire to de-escalate tensions in the country’s eastern region near the border with Rwanda, the White House announced just days before Congo’s presidential election.
The agreement was backed by both Congo and Rwanda, Adrienne Watson, a spokeswoman for the White House National Security Council, said in a statement Monday.
It said the agreement includes the withdrawal of forces occupying the locality of Mushaki and the RP1030 road in eastern Congo. The region has struggled with violent conflict for decades and armed groups fight either for control of mineral resources or to defend their communities. The most prominent is the M23 rebel group with links to Rwanda.
Neither Congo nor Rwanda has publicly commented on the cease-fire, which the White House said would also help “advance the implementation of the confidence-building measures to protect civilians” as Congo prepares for the Dec. 20 presidential election.
“The U.S. Government will use its intelligence and diplomatic resources to monitor the activities by armed forces and non-state armed groups during the cease-fire,” the statement added.
M23 rose to prominence 10 years ago when its fighters seized Goma, eastern Congo’s largest city on the border with Rwanda. Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi has often blamed Rwanda for destabilizing Congo by backing the rebels. U.N. experts have linked the rebels to Rwandan forces, but Rwanda denies it.
Tshisekedi, who seeks reelection as he faces several other candidates, had earlier said rebel-controlled territories might not participate in the vote for security reasons.
The top United Nations official in Congo warned on Monday that tensions between Congo and Rwanda have escalated, heightening the risk of a military confrontation. Congo’s government also insists on the withdrawal of U.N. and regional peacekeeping forces from the region, saying they’re ineffective, and some have started to leave the country.
veryGood! (768)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Read the love at Romance Era Bookshop, a queer Black indie bookstore in Washington
- 'He Gets Us' returns with new Super Bowl commercials for Jesus
- First lady questions whether special counsel referenced son’s death to score political points
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Amie Harwick's killer wanted to make a statement by killing her on Valentine's Day, says prosecutor
- Super Bowl: Do performers get paid? What to know about halftime performances, show cost
- Super Bowl 58 picks: Will 49ers or Chiefs win out on NFL's grand stage in Las Vegas?
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Travis Kelce's perfect Super Bowl companion? Not Taylor Swift, but 49ers counterpart George Kittle
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Alex Ovechkin tops Wayne Gretzky's record for empty net goals as streak hits four games
- The Golden Bachelorette Is in the Works After Success of The Golden Bachelor
- Man sentenced to life in prison for killing 4 workers at Oklahoma pot farm
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Who sang the national anthem at the 2024 Super Bowl? All about Reba McEntire
- Haley tells Trump to ‘say it to my face’ after he questions her military husband’s whereabouts
- Debate simmers over when doctors should declare brain death
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
The differences between the Trump and Biden documents cases
Inside Janet Jackson's Infamous Super Bowl Wardrobe Malfunction and Its Even More Complicated Aftermath
“Diva” film soprano Wilhelmenia Wiggins Fernandez Smith has died at 75
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo Defy Gravity in Wicked Trailer Released During Super Bowl 2024
Trump slams Swift, prompting other politicians to come out as Swifties
Debate simmers over when doctors should declare brain death